Mr Erik BECKER
Department of Weather Research
Research to Operations Branch
Mr Erik BECKER
Mr Erik Becker joins the CCRS with over 9 years of experience in operational weather radar data processing. His current research focuses on exploring the latest developments in machine learning algorithms to improve near real-time forecasts. Accurate forecasts require high quality data. Thus, he also has a keen interest in weather radar data quality control techniques to make sure that weather radar data is of the highest standard possible.
- PhD Candidate, Wageningen University & Research, Netherlands
- MSEN, College of Agriculture, Engineering and Science, University of KwaZulu Natal, South Africa
- BSc and BSc (Hons), Department of Geography, Geoinformatics and Meteorology, University of Pretoria, South Africa
- Research Scientist, Centre for Climate Research Singapore, MSS
- Research Scientist, Research and Development Department, South African Weather Service, South Africa
- Nowcasting and very short range forecasting
- Weather radar data processing and quality control
- Remote sensing of precipitation
- Machine learning algorithms
Sun, X., Becker, E., Zhang, S., Huang, X.-Y., Doan, Q.V. 2018.
Development of a machine-learning Nowcasting system at the Meteorological Service Singapore
MSS Research Letters, 2, 33-40.
Poolman, E.,de Coning, E., Becker, E., Pegram, G., Sinclair, S., Kroese N., 2014:
Improvement of early preparedness and early warning systems for extreme climatic events – Flood warnings.
WRC Report No. K5/2068/1, Pretoria.
Elena Saltikoff, Ph.D.; John Cho, Ph.D.; Philippe Tristant; Asko Huuskonen; Lynn Allmon; Russell Cook; Erik Becker; Paul Joe, Ph.D., 2015:
The threat to weather radars by wireless technology.